Portsmouth City Assessment Information

If you feel your property was not fairly assessed, you could have made an informal assessment appointment with the assessors office to ask for and adjustment, but since that procedure has expired you still have two more opportunities to appeal your new assessment.

1.  Go to the web site in this section and it will take you to the city assessor’s web site where you can click on the Abatement Application, to the left of the site, and print the application.  This application must be submitted to the assessor’s before March 1, 2011.  Unfortunately we must pay the next tax bill in December, which will be based on the new assessments so please wait for your December bill to appeal to the local assessor’s office.     http://www.cityofportsmouth.com/assessors/index.htm

2. Any property owner dissatisfied with an assessment after the informal hearing can file an abatement application with the city assessor’s office after the first half of the tax bill is mailed. The deadline for filing abatement is March 1, 2011. The assessor’s office will review the application and notify the property owner of its decision before July 1, 2011. Taxpayers who then wish to appeal that decision may file with either the State of New Hampshire Board of Tax and Land Appeals or Rockingham County Superior Court, no later than Sept. 1, 2011.

We will make every effort to help you appeal the new assessment change.  Please contact us at president@portsmouthtaxpayers.org .

This entry was posted in The Big Picture in 60 seconds. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.